One of my favorite cookbooks is Better Homes and Gardens. It has some wonderful easy to follow recipes in all categories. My favorite category is slow cooking. It’s so nice to put things in the crock pot and then have dinner when you get home.
Well, I found some sandwich recipes for the crock pot on their website. Enjoy.
First up Pulled Pork with Root Beer Sauce
1 2 ½ to 3 lbs pork sirloin roast
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon of pepper
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
2 medium onions cut into thin wedges
1 cup root beer*
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups root beer*
1 cup of chili sauce
¼ teaspoon root beer concentrates (optional)
8 to 10 hamburger buns
Lettuce leaves and tomato slices
*Do not substitute with diet root beer.
1. Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3-1/2- to 5-quart crockery cooker. Sprinkle meat with the salt and pepper. In a large skillet brown meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain off fat. Transfer meat to cooker. Add onions, the 1 cup root beer, and garlic.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
3. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan combine the 3 cups of root beer and the chili sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 2 cups. Add root beer concentrate and bottled hot pepper sauce, if desired.
4. Transfer roast to a cutting board or serving platter. Using a slotted spoon, remove onions from cooking juices and place on serving platter. Discard juices. Using 2 forks, pull meat apart into shreds. To serve, line buns with lettuce leaves and tomato slices, if desired. Add meat and onions; spoon on sauce. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Second: Southwestern Shredded Beef Sandwiches
1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
1 Tbsp. cooking oil
2 cups Shredded Beef Master Recipe (see recipe below)
1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
4 onion rolls, split and toasted, if desired
1 cup shredded lettuce
1. In a large saucepan, cook onion in hot oil over medium heat about 4 minutes or until tender. Add shredded beef, undrained tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until heated through and desired consistency. Stir in cilantro.
2. To serve, sprinkle some of the cheese over bottoms of onion rolls. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture over cheese on each bun. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and the shredded lettuce. Add roll tops. Makes 4 servings.
Shredded Beef Recipe
Trim fat from a 3 to 3-1/2 pound boneless beef chuck pot roast. If necessary, cut beef to fit a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Place 2 large onions, cut into thin wedges and 2 cloves garlic, minced in the cooker. Top with beef. In a medium bowl, combine 1, 14-ounce can beef broth, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed; 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Pour over beef in cooker.
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 11 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5-1/2 to 6 hours. Remove beef and onion from cooker, reserving juices. Using two forks, shred beef, discarding any fat. Skim fat from juices. Add onion to beef; add enough juices to beef to moisten. Place 2-cup portions of beef in airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Makes 6 cups.