Thursday, December 15, 2011
Pork chops and escarole
½ cup canola oil
2 tablespoons minced shallots
5 tablespoons finely minced lemongrass
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons chopped ginger
2 tablespoon low-carb Hoisin sauce*
1½ tablespoons tamari
3 tablespoons water
Pork chops and escarole:
4 (8-ounce) center-cut pork chops
28 escarole leaves
1. In a large bowl, mix together the canola oil, shallots, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, Hoisin sauce, tamari and water. Reserve one-third of the mixture. Using the rest of the mixture, coat each pork chop and marinate in a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish in the refrigerator for 2–4 hours, turning the chops once.
2. Preheat a grill to medium-high. Also preheat the oven to 375ºF.
3. When the grill is ready, remove the chops from the marinade and grill for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chops to a baking pan and bake another 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, transfer the mixture used to marinate the pork to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, add the water and then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
1. Coat the escarole leaves with the reserved marinade and place them on the grill for 1 minute. Remove and place on a serving plate.
2. Place the pork chops on top of the escarole, drizzle with the warm marinade, adding any marinade not used for the escarole, and serve.