Cool Soup for a Hot Day
- 3 pounds fresh plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 small yellow or white onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, oil, garlic, sal,t and pepper in a mixing bowl; toss to coat. Transfer ingredients to a pan, making sure to include all of the liquid and arranging tomatoes cut side down in a single layer.
- Roast until the tomato skins are puckered and browned, about 20 minutes, turning the pan once halfway through. Let cool.
- Add garlic and roasted vegetables and any juices to blender. Holding down blender lid firmly with a folded kitchen towel, blend at low speed until slightly chunky (you may have to work in batches). Add broth and pulse once to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve or at least 1 hour. Serve, topped with basil.