I guess I'm just in pie mode, and Gram has been on my mind lately. She made the best pies It's a wonder we didn't weigh 400 pounds. Going through her cookbook, I found the Magic Lemon, Yummy another favorite. Enjoy
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 can Eagle Brand® sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 9" baked pastry shell or prepared graham pie crust
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup sugar
Preparation:1. Beat egg yolks; whisk in lemon rind, sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice. Pour into prepared crust.
2. Bake in preheated 325°F oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 350°F.
3. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy; gradually add sugar beating until stiff peaks form but not dry. Spread meringue on top of hot pie, sealing carefully to edge of crust.
4. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool. Chill before serving, if desired.
Adams Family Cookbook